The federal government of Nigeria has warned that it will not allow any fresh protest at Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos on Saturday by #EndSARS protesters.
The government in a press statement on Thursday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed warned that security operatives have been directed to crush any protest.
Mohammed noted that government already has intelligence reports that some people want to hijack the protest to cause violence, and security operatives have been put on alert to prevent such action that could destabilize the peace of the country.
He added that while protests are constitutionally allowed, they must be done within the provisions of the law and the law does not allow protest to be done at toll gates.
He also added that most of those backing the protest are not even in Nigeria but want to use their selfish interests to negatively affect the country.
The Minister said: “As you may be aware, some EndSARS proponents have given notice of their plan to return to Lagos – Lekki Toll Gate to be specific – on Saturday, February 13th 2021.”
“The ”Occupy Lekki Toll Gate” flyers have been circulating online, with the proponents threatening that ”Lagos will burn” again.
“Let me be clear: While peaceful protests are the constitutional rights of Nigerians, violent protests are not. At this time, the chances that any peaceful protest will be hijacked are very high.”
“Based on the intelligence at the disposal of the Federal Government, some Nigerian activists have linked up with others outside Nigeria, including subversive elements, with a view to destabilizing the country. We cannot and must not allow this to happen.”
“However, any further resort to violence in the name of #EndSARS will not be tolerated this time.
”The security agents are ready for any eventuality. A situation in which six soldiers and 37 policemen were murdered in cold blood by hoodlums will not repeat itself.
”The attack, looting, and razing of 269 private and public property will not happen again. The killing of 57 civilians will not be re-enacted.”
”No government anywhere will allow a repeat of the kind of destruction, killing and maiming wrought by the hijackers of #EndSARS protests last year.
”After all, only one policeman – (plus four others) – was killed in the invasion of the US Capitol in January, yet the FBI has continued to hunt down and prosecute the perpetrators. No life is more important than the other.”
He added: ”We therefore strongly warn those who are planning to re-occupy Lekki Toll Gate on Saturday to desist.
” We know that many of those who have been loudest on social media in advertising the plan to reconvene in Lagos on Saturday are not even in Nigeria.
“They are elsewhere around the world fanning the embers of violence and inciting gullible people back home. No one should fall for their antics.”
Meanwhile, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has revealed why the federal government is yet to unfreeze bank accounts of 20 #EndSARS protesters.
Recall that the order to freeze the bank accounts linked with some promoters of the #EndSARS protest was on Wednesday set aside by a Federal High Court in Abuja.
In a ruling on Wednesday, Justice Ahmed Mohammed ordered all concerned banks to immediately unfreeze the affected accounts.
The presiding judge said the ruling follows the withdrawal of all processes filed in relation to the suit by lawyers to all parties.
Justice Mohammed proceeded to strike out the suit filed by the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, and in respect of which the ex-parte order freezing the accounts for 180 days was made on November 4, 2020.
But speaking on Sunrise Daily, a Channels TV programme on Thursday, Malami explained that the federal government is yet to comply with the court judgment because it is still weighing options as allowed by the law on such matters.
Source: Naija News
Source: Naija News
#Sends #Strong #Warning #Reveals #Plans #OccupyLekki #Protesters